Translate

Friday, May 7, 2010

alfredo apostol castro...in memoriam



it is but fitting to write something special about and for my father, for 49 years he have spent his life on earth, quarter of which or should i say half of it have been the most exciting and wonderful years, it was during those times he was our father and a husband to my mother.

my father was the eldest son of the twelve children (yes, you read it right) of my lola nene and lolo peping. my father was the "kuya" to all his siblings and cousins younger his age, and from the mouths of his siblings and cousins, they would speak of good things about my father, a real kuya to the real sense of the word.

when i was a child, i would hear stories that my father was a "mother's son", a favorite, the apple of the eye of my lola nene and lolo peping. it was because they say, my father was born in a abnormal position (suhi) that nearly took the life of my lola nene, it took hours of labor before my father came out. also, reason mentioned was because my father was the first son, a first son would always bring joy to a father, a pride to my lolo peping. may magkakalat na ng apelyido.

my father was the third to marry and settle for a family life amongst the 12 siblings. he married my mother may 22, 1977, they were blessed with three children: almira, maileen and aristhotel. i never had the chance to see my ate almira, accounts say she died after a week of being born because of health complications, she would have been 31 years old by now. my parents lost their first child, a daughter... and i cannot imagine the pain it brung to them, only they have felt it.

my father have always wanted a big family like theirs, but due to physical constraints of my mother, a caesarean birth would only permit three to a maximum of four children.

i must admit, my ate maileen was closest to my father and i closest to my mother. i guess the electra complex and oedipus complex is happening in our midsts, the son is usually closest to the mother and the daughter is usually closest to the father respectively.

nevertheless, it did not bother me at all, and there was no fight for attention nor a contest at all, just good memories lingers.

my father was a long time employee of the then, central cement corporation located on the mountains of akle, san ildefonso, bulacan. i would always be excited when yuletide season comes, we will be attending the christmas party of the company and it signals the start of an annual family generosity, it meant new clothes for us bought in the shops of baliuag, allotted money for me and my sister, an early aguinaldo and many more exciting presents.

my father was strict and disciplinarian, hindi kami nakaiwas sa mga palo gamit ang sanga ng bayabas at sampaloc, hindi rin nya pinalampas ang pagkakataon na ipadanas sa amin ang masilid sa sako. harsh yet its his way of doing it and i fully understand.

my father was a spoiler, he would always give in to our requests, from simple to the most lucrative, he does not really mind it at all, all for the joy of his children.

my father was a performer, i guess i owe my love and passion for the performing arts to him. he was a singer and a dancer. he loves to listen to engelbert humperdink and tom jones, he dances the cha cha cha and the waltz. i would remember the debut celebration of my tita ada, my father was the most graceful partner of the debutant dancing to the waltz.

my father was good-looking. he was handsome. in my own judgement i see in him george clooney, the hollywood actor...but friends, relatives and other acquaintances would call him walter navarro, a local matinee idol of the 1970s. ehemmm...i got my looks from my father i guess, ehemmm...


i was fortunate enough to have a clear and vivid memories of my father. after his death in year 1999 all was shocked, saddened and felt the lost of a great man. his death was really early, untimely and premature.

wala na si tatay ng nagtapos kami sa kolehiyo, wala na siya ng ikasal si ate maileen, wala na siya ng lumabas ang aking pamagkin na si raven agatha, wala na siya ngayon...na mas kaya na naming ipakita at iparamdam sa kanya kung paano siya naging ama sa akin at kay ate...

its nearly 12 years when he passed away but never was a time i forgot his persona..and i quote:


"Any Man Can Be A Father ... But It Takes Someone SPECIAL to be A Dad!"


and yes my father is special because he was a dad and will always be a dad to us..

1 comment:

  1. Nice, tuts! Well said! Misses your dad a lot,too. One of the best cousins and men I've ever known.
    One thing to be happy about his passing though, he left himself a good legacy: you and Ate Maileen.
    Wherever he is now, 'am sure he's so proud of you both...Keep this up!Nice site you have!

    ReplyDelete